Saturday 20 March 2010

Very Dead Grape Leaves in pen and ink

I'll try to remember to take this into work and scan it, but the picture gives the basic idea. Erm, such as it is.

This week's Illustration Friday prompt is expired. While I might have had thoughts about drawing dead parrots (they just had to use that quote in the e-mail and spoil my fun, didn't they?), any excuse to draw dead leaves is welcome.

I have what's probably a weird fascination with the leaves on my father's grape vine. I take far too many photos of them, both alive and dead, and I've done plenty of doodles of them... only one of which I think I've ever posted here (before this, I mean), for some reason. Maybe I should look them up and see how horrible they are. Anyway, since the grape leaves are thin but heavily veined, they go through some interesting contortions as they wither up in the fall. It's fun to follow the lines. For me, anyway.

And if anyone out there is a grape connoisseur (boy, is that a strange word when you actually sit down and try to spell it) and is wondering what kind of grapes my father is growing, all I can say is that it's some kind that will grow in Alberta. That has to narrow it down quite a lot, because there's not much in the line of grapes that can make it through our lovely winters as far as I know.

Oh, and the odd placement on the page? I'd planned to add some of the background initially, but when I was done with the leaves I kind of liked it this way.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Drawing dried leaves is fun. I like drawing them too.

Grape leaves in Alberta! Wow, they must be tough (I'm from AB too).

Mischa said...

Hey there, thanks for posting a comment on my blog. :)
I really like your illustration. I use to live in Alberta, and I can't imagine grapes surviving in that weather. XD

Little Red Pony said...

very beautiful drawing. I see you said you are not an artist? I think you are. Oh and the sock puppet, yes!...I love sock monkeys.

Related Posts with Thumbnails