Monday 14 July 2008

Peas Please

If I could only eat one vegetable for the rest of my life
I think it would be peas
But not your everyday out-of-the-freezer-bag peas
Oh no
I'm talking fighting your way through too-closely packed rows of twined-up vines
Listening to those swollen pods rattle
And the squeeeak as you nip them off with green-stained thumb and finger
To add them to their brothers in the basket
(Although many mysteriously find their way to the mouth instead)
And then the POP and RIIIP of those cocoons
As they relinquish their close-guarded treasures
Green globes cascading into Tupperware
And into laps when attention wavers
All leading up to that proud presentation at the dinner table:
Our heroes -- slightly chilled of course
Having never known the sacrilege of the cooking pot
Ready to explode stored sunshine with every bite...
Ah, I think that I shall never see
A veggie lovely as a pea

Unless you count those firm, crisp new carrots there
Mmm... carrots...

----------

The was written a few years ago in a moment of pure silliness. I think, though, that it still has a little bit of something to say about the transience of satisfaction.

Either that, or it's a hint at the absolute relief that finally having fresh veggies again can give a person who lives in a country with a fairly short growing season...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I love the pea poem. Cough, cough.
Giggle Giggle. I just read that, pee poem. Raw pea's are good too. And you are right, fresh pea's are nothing like the frozen or canned variety. Did you know that in England they eat something called Mushy Pea's. And they prefer them. And I had mushy pea's on my plate one night. I almost gagged eating them. I want to go on the Scotsman. An elite train trip for sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails